DE 002: The safari business, setting up your own private island and dealing with African governments
Ever wondered what it would be like to run with elephants, to manage a safari company, or set up a private island? Malcolm Ryen can tell you all about it…and he does in the second episode of Destination Entrepreneur Podcasts. Malcolm is a wildlife researcher turned entrepreneur who was only too happy to share his experiences with us.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- How Malcolm got his start in the Tanzanian tourism industry (and how you can too)
- Why tourism is the best form of conservation
- How he started a private island resort, and what you should expect if you want to do the same thing
- What it takes to start a safari company
- Why you need to have persistence when dealing with many governments in Africa
RESOURCES AND LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Essential Destinations safari/resort locations include:
- Resources for interested destination entrepreneurs thinking of starting a business in Tanzania, particularly in the tourism industry, include: Tanzanian Investment Center, Hotel Association of Tanzania,Tanzanian Association of Tour Operators, Tanzania Confederation of Tourism, Ngorongoro Conservation Authority
- National Geographic’s movie about wildlife in Southern Tanzania; Lion Battle Zone
- Book a trip, or find out more about their activities, through Essential Destinations’ website,
- Contact Malcolm Ryen through the Essential Destinations website
IF YOU LIKED THIS PODCAST:
- Click here to subscribe to my newsletter to keep up to date with the latest podcasts, articles and resources about Destination Entrepreneurs around the world.
- Share this episode with this link: www.hughwhalan.com/DE2
- Apple users – click here to check out this podcast on iTunes
- Android users – click here to review this podcast on Stitcher
Thanks for now and looking forward to sharing the next great story soon!