DE 002: The safari business, setting up your own private island and dealing with African governments
Ever wondered what it would be like to run with elephants, to manage a safari company, or set up a private island? Malcolm Ryen can tell you all about it…and he does in the second episode of Destination Entrepreneur Podcasts. Malcolm is a wildlife researcher turned entrepreneur who was only too happy to share his experiences with us.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- How Malcolm got his start in the Tanzanian tourism industry (and how you can too)
- Why tourism is the best form of conservation
- How he started a private island resort, and what you should expect if you want to do the same thing
- What it takes to start a safari company
- Why you need to have persistence when dealing with many governments in Africa
RESOURCES AND LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Essential Destinations safari/resort locations include:
- Resources for interested destination entrepreneurs thinking of starting a business in Tanzania, particularly in the tourism industry, include: Tanzanian Investment Center, Hotel Association of Tanzania,Tanzanian Association of Tour Operators, Tanzania Confederation of Tourism, Ngorongoro Conservation Authority
- National Geographic’s movie about wildlife in Southern Tanzania; Lion Battle Zone
- Book a trip, or find out more about their activities, through Essential Destinations’ website,
- Contact Malcolm Ryen through the Essential Destinations website
IF YOU LIKED THIS PODCAST:
- Click here to subscribe to my newsletter to keep up to date with the latest podcasts, articles and resources about Destination Entrepreneurs around the world.
- Share this episode with this link: www.hughwhalan.com/DE2
- Click here to review this podcast on iTunes, which helps immensely in getting this story out to other interested listeners)
Thanks for now and looking forward to sharing the next great story soon!