DE 011: Breakups and startups. How dating advice can help you set up shop overseas
What do dating and starting a business have in common? Fear and unrealistic expectations.
I keep a diary, and have done for about 7 years now. If you don’t write down your thoughts once in a while, I’d highly recommend it. You’ll be surprised at how intelligent (or stupid) your younger self can be, and it helps you see the forks in the road that led you to where you are today.
Some of my diary entries from 2009 focus on my first business. I’d worked long and hard, together with my co-founder, for about 9 months to get the business ready for launch. My thoughts on the night before we went ‘live’ were a mixture of insane expectations and crippling fear. I was sure the business would be a massive success (it was not), and I was also scared that people would think I was a fake (they didn’t).
My younger self could have benefited from some of the advice Mark Manson gives in this podcast. Mark is an author, blogger and former dating coach who spends his time traveling around the world writing interesting articles about sex and dating, self improvement, lifestyle and culture. A recent article he wrote on gun violence in the US, received 330,000 Facebook shares and over 1000 comments. He talked to me from Medellin, Colombia, where he is spending 6 months.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- What got Mark into the dating advice scene
- Why dating and starting a business are similar
- How you can use simple techniques to conquer your inertia, and give yourself a good kick in the bum
- Why you should start testing your assumptions about living overseas before you leave home
- How to avoid creating unrealistic expectations that will set you up for disappointment
RESOURCES AND LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Mark’s blog, and his books here and here
- Frank Kern seminars run by Frank Kern, a successful internet marketer
- Ed Dale, who writes on successful digital businesses
- Dan Kennedy’s books on successful marketing
- 4 Hour Work Week, by Tim Ferriss, about location independent businesses
- Starting a blog on BlogSpot
WHAT’S YOUR STRATEGY? (FREE GIVEAWAY!)
In this podcast, we cover some specific strategies that will help you take that first step towards your destination enterprise aspirations. Share your own strategy for ending inertia, and what worked for you.
Every comment on this blog post will receive a free copy of Mark’s 2012 book, Escape Plan, which retailed for $27, and is a primer for traveling and life abroad. The book provides tips from Mark’s own travel experiences on getting cheap airfares, finding good accommodation, learning foreign languages and working overseas.
IF YOU LIKED THIS PODCAST:
- Click here to get my free newsletter (no spam, only cool stuff and giveaways)
- Share this episode using this link: www.hughwhalan.com/DE11
- Apple users – click here to check out this podcast on iTunes
- Android users – click here to review this podcast on Stitcher